Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Passion or Poor Sport?

"Last night everyone could truly see the passion I have for my job. Now that I have had time to gain my composure I can see that while I don't agree with the unfair line call, in the heat of the battle I let my passion and emotion get the better of me and as a result handled the situation poorly."

Serena Williams let more than passion for her so called "job" get in the way of a bad call during the U.S. Open on Saturday, September 13th. She expressed anger and frustration, letting it all out on the line judge during her match against unranked Kim Clijsters.

Yelling obsenities to the judge such as "...I swear to God I'm #@?!ing going to take this #@?!ing ball and shove it down your #@?!ing throat..."

When asked if she was going to usher an apology to the poor line judge, Serena commented, "An apology? From me? Well, how many people yell at linespeople? Players, athletes get frustrated. I don't know how many times I've seen that."

So, no apology in sight. No sympathy. No remorse. Is this a role model? Or just another poor sported athlete who's been put in the limelight? I for one am disgusted at her reaction. Growing up as an athlete in high school, I was tempted to let tempers flare, but I always kept in mind that integrity is more important than winning a game...especially if I still got a paycheck even if I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment